Thursday, July 31, 2014

Canon 7D Price Drop


When I attend sporting events I get get asked all the time what camera I use.  People send me messages on Facebook all the time asking what camera I recommend they start out with.  Well right now anyone wanting a great camera is in luck.  The camera I personally use for 90% of my photography, the Canon 7D is dropping in price.

The reason the Canon 7D is dropping in price is because the new Canon 7D Mark II is expected to be released in the next month or so.  With the new camera bodies release everyone is trying to clear out the old body style from its stock.  Do I plan to make the jump to the new camera body, yes.  But I probably won't make it anytime soon.

The reason is the Canon 7D is still a very good camera.  Especially for sports photographers.  Yes, their are better camera's out their.  But, given that you can pick up the Canon 7D for just over $700 refurbished from Canon http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-7d-body-refurbished its hard to beat the price.  You can also get an entire starter kit for under $1400 from Amazon.com.




Compare this to the $5,000 price for Canon's top of the line camera and you can see the value of buying the Canon 7D.

Rumor's are flying about the Canon 7D Mark II all over the internet.  The main reason I want the new camera is that it is rumored to produce very little noise at high ISO settings.  Given that I shoot a lot of sporting events at night this is a huge advantage.  But it also comes at a price.  The rumored price for the new Canon 7D is around $2,200 for the body only.  No lens is included at that price.

The other advantage of the new camera body is rumored to be better weather sealing.  For someone who primarily shoots outdoors this is a huge plus as well because I usually do not get to go home when the weather turns bad.  But for most photographers this is not an issue.

If money is no object, I would personally wait a few weeks and buy the new camera body.  But for someone just starting out on a budget I would highly recommend you look at the refurbished camera body being offered direct from Canon.  You can use the money you save to buy a high quality lens.  Like I have said in several other blog entries, the lens in front of the camera is way more important than the camera body anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment