Thursday, July 17, 2014

Canon 50mm f1.8 Review

When we first buy a new digital camera one of the first things we want to buy is a telephoto lens.  And for good reason.  But for your second purchase you probably want to get this lens.

The Canon 50mm f1.8 is not an expensive lens coming in at about $120 at Best Buy and even cheaper online.  It gives you a great field of view.  A 50mm lens is about the equivalent of the same field of view as what the human eye can see.  At 1.8 it is excellent for low light situations and gives some amazing creamy, blurred backgrounds (bokeh), like in the images below.






This lens is primarily a portrait lens.  You may be able to use it for some sports.  I have used it to photograph basketball from right underneath the basket when players are going up for the rebound.  And it has produced some amazing images.  But it has also given me some less than stellar pictures.

I personally find the lens a little slow to focus.  But for the type of photography you will be using this lens for that should not be a major issue.

It is also made of plastic and feels rather cheap.  It is very light weight and will not stand up to abuse.

I have used this lens for some landscape photography with mediocre results.

One of the things I love about this lens is the f/1.8 aperture.  With that setting you are able to obtain an extremely shallow depth of field.  In the image below I focused on the eyes and you notice the nose is slightly out of focus.  While this effect is not something you would use often, under certain circumstances you may want an effect similar that puts just the eyes in focus.
I admit, I do not use this lens all that often, but I am glad I have it in my bag when I need it.  I took all these images today using it just for this post and considering it only took ten minutes to take these pictures I am pretty happy with the results.

Having said that, if you are on a budget starting out I would highly recommend you purchase this lens.  It is very affordable, produces great bokeh, works well in very low light situations and is capable of producing some high quality images.

No comments:

Post a Comment