Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Night Game Sports Photography


One of the most challenging things to photograph in my opinion, is nighttime or indoor sports.  Fast moving action and poor lighting are a photographer’s worst nightmare.  Throw in things like crowds of people and fences to obstruct your view and it only makes things worse.

When I started I scoured the internet looking for advice on shooting low light sporting events and found information that was all over the place.  Some of it was great and right on.  Some of it, in my humble opinion, was just flat out wrong.

I am not the best photographer, nor am I the most experienced.  But people do pay me for pictures of their kids playing sports, so I must be doing something right.  So I decided to put together this little guide based on what I have found works best for me.

The pictures in this tutorial were shot using a Canon 7D and a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens.  Not the best equipment in the world, but in my opinion they give me the most bang for my buck.
All the pictures were shot handheld without any flash or strobes.  Obviously flash is not allowed at sporting events.

Most of the examples I am using in this guide are from a Parkd & Rec League Softball game.  It is played at an older park with absolutely terrible lighting.  The local little league field has better lighting and the high school has much better lighting.  I have shot at dozens of venues and hands down this is the worst lighting I have ever encountered. I seriously doubt you could find a night game played with less lighting than this game unless it was played in the middle of a residential street at night.  The point is to show you that even in terrible lighting you can get some quality shots.  Yes, I wish they were better, but sometimes you have to make do with what you have.

Lens Selection
So the first thing you need to shoot any sports once the sun goes down is a fast lens.  A 70-200 f/2.8 from Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Nikon or any other manufacturer is pretty much mandatory for shooting low light sports.  If you can afford it, a 300mm or 400mm prime lens would be better, but not many of us are going to have that kind of money to spend nor would you want to carry something that size around.

Simply put, you need the large aperture to capture quality images in low light.  Unless you are in a very well lite environment even an f/4 lens is going to struggle.  If you have a kit lens with a variable aperture that goes from f/3.5 to f/5.6 you simply will not have enough lite to get quality pictures.

I personally like shooting my Sigma at f/4 because it is sharper.  I was able to shoot at f/4 for the first half hour of this game.  But give that the game went until almost 10 pm that simply was not a reality for very long.  Once the sun went all the way down, it was just to dark to shoot at f/4.  I needed all the light I could get, that meant f/2.8.

ISO
I have seen a lot of discussion on the internet about ISO and nighttime sports photography.  I am not really sure why there is so much discussion.  I have seen a lot of people make unrealistic claims or some are even reluctant to say how high they set their ISO like there is some embarrassment among photographers about using high ISO settings.

Here is the reality of shooting night games.  You are going to have to bump your ISO.  There is no getting around that.  And the higher the ISO goes the more noise you will see in the image.  You will lose some fine details and the colors will wash out.  Simply put there is no getting around this.

I see people in chat rooms making claims that they never shoot higher than 1600 ISO at night games.  I think they are not being honest.  Even professional games you would struggle with that low of an ISO setting.  More realistically I see a lot of people saying they never go above 3200 ISO.  But even that is pushing it when it comes to high school level sports or below. 

Professional stadiums are set up with a ton of lighting for television cameras.  Even then photographers tend to have some problems.  High School lighting is terrible.  Newer schools or schools with large athletic programs tend to have better lighting.  But even well lite stadiums do not provide you with the amount of light you really need for high quality sports shooting.

At the softball game I went to, I had no choice but to turn my ISO up to 6400 at times.  Even at that setting I had to have my aperture set to f/2.8.  My shutter speed was all the way down to 1/250 of a second at times.  I even shot a few at 1/160 of a second for non action shots.  Even then I was struggling to have enough light.

There is no shame in having to bump you ISO up.  It is just a reality unless you want dark pictures.  In some venues you may not have to go up that high, but the reality of amateur sports is you will have to.  Even though it was completely dark out, the field was not lite evenly.  I was able to shoot pictures of the batters 4000-5000 ISO because the batter’s box was well lite.  But the pitcher’s mound was dark, so I had to bump up the ISO to 6400 for shots of third base and second base.  I did try to get pictures of the outfields but it was way too dark and my 200mm lens even on my cropped sensor Canon 7D just did not have the reach.

SHUTTER SPEED
As I already mentioned I had to turn my shutter speed all the way down to 1/200 of a second.  Typically for sports you do not want to drop below 1/500 of a second.  Ideally you want to be above 1/1000 of a second for sports.  This helps you to freeze action.  It also helps to eliminate any blurring in your image from camera shake by having the shutter open for a shorter period of time.

At 1/250 of a second, you can see how much motion blur was introduced into my images.  The ball is a yellow blur.  The bat is blurred.  The pitchers hands are blurred.  Fortunately in baseball the players are relatively static.  The arms move, but the body is pretty much in the same place when hitting and throwing.  This helps to keep the faces relatively sharp.  But with that slow shutter speed I also had a lot of misses when players moved quickly.  It created motion blur and unusable shots.

Given that this was a 13-16 year Rec League Game I was able to get away with this.  But for more serious completion like High School Varsity games or traveling teams, I would not have been able to use this shutter speed.  They simply move to fast.  The ball travels to fast.  I would have had to bump my shutter speed up and deal with the darker images.

It also helped me that I have Optical Image Stabilization on my Sigma lens.  This helped me to keep my images sharp.  Ideally, you want your shutter speed to at least match your focal length.  On my cropped sensor Canon Camera that means I should have been around 1/320 of a second to eliminate camera shake.  But with image stabilization or if I had been shooting on a monopod I can go lower and not worry about it.

WHITE BALANCE
White balance is something that causes new photographers fits.  Have you ever taken a picture at night and noticed a blue or orange tint to the image?  The reason for this is the lights.  Different lights produce different colors on everything they illuminate.

For example Tungsten lights typically found in homes, tend to cast an orange tint onto images.  Florescent lights give a green tint to the images.
I personally set the white balance to florescent lights for this game.  But the color was still not 100% accurate.  The reason for this is that the lights in many stadiums cycle.  Meaning the lights flicker as they power up and cycle back down.  This occurs to fast for the human eye to notice.  But your camera will show these changes in your images.  This means inconsistent exposure and inconsistent color balance.  You will find one shot that looks perfect, then one that is terrible.  Unfortunately the reality is there is no way around this.  The only thing you can do is import the images into editing software such as Lightroom and make the necessary adjustments after the fact.  Here is a link to a great explanation on this with sample images http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=20873.

Post Processing

It does not matter how good you are, or what kind of gear you have, nighttime sports photography will require image editing.  Getting the colors and exposure correct is something you have to do after the fact due to the flickering lights.  You will also most likely want to reduce some of the noise in your images from shooting at a high ISO.

As I mentioned, I personally use Lightroom for my image editing.  Most professional photographers use Lightroom for the majority of image editing.  A lot of none pros think everything is done with Photoshop.  The problem is Photoshop is slow.  It is also complicated to use.  Even those who are proficient in Photoshop only use it for advance editing that is not possible in Lightroom.  And with every new version of Lightroom, they introduce a host of new features that were previously only available in Photoshop.  And they best part is Lightroom is that is costs fraction of the price for Photoshop.  It is very easy to learn as well.  Some of the more advanced features might seem confusing, but a simple search of YouTube and you can figure out even the most advanced features of the program in minutes.

Just like anything, the more you practice shooting night games the better you will get.  Try different settings on your camera and find out what works best for you.  Everything is subjective in photography.  For me personally I like brighter pictures and I’ll deal with the noise and some motion blur.  Others would rather limit the noise and motion blur, but end up with dark images.  You have to find what works best for you.  And that means a lot of trial and error.

No comments:

Post a Comment