Wednesday, July 23, 2014

How to Create Shadow Portraits




One of the most icon and stunning portraits ever recreated (and often replicated) is the half shadow, half lite face.  Everyone from the Beetles to Michael Jordan has posed for this picture and graced magazine covers and posters with this technique.  Surprisingly not a lot of new photographers know how to create this amazingly simple photograph.

Many people create this picture in Photoshop.  To be honest I think creating the picture in Photoshop makes the picture look fake.  And it is more time consuming to create in Photoshop.

All you need to create this photo is a light source and a model.  You can even do a self portrait.  You do not need a fancy light.  I used a cheap light I had hanging on the wall in my bedroom.  I hung a dark blanket over the door behind my subject to ensure the background was dark and that was it.

Make sure to have you light source at a 90 degree angle from your subject in a dark room and begin having some fun.

I just handheld my Canon 7d for these pictures.  I played with my settings a little and ended up shooting these pictures around 1/200 of a second shutter speed, ISO 1000 at f/4 using my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens.

You can get creative with your pictures as well.  I really like the way the pictures came out with the light source behind the model as well.

For a creepy effect have the model hold the light source below there face.  My model would not consent to me using those photos on the site because she said she looked like an alien.  Seriously, she did lol.

Try different lights in your house to see what effect they have.  I see a lot of people trying to use sunlight through a window but it is difficult to creat the dark room effect using ambient light from a window.


No comments:

Post a Comment