Thursday, July 17, 2014

How to get Starburst in your Photos


Now I have to freely admit, I am not much of a night portrait photographer.  I take night shots every now and then when i see something cool and I want to try it out.  And then I pretty much forget about it.

One thing I was curious about was how to get starbusts from lights in your photos.  Now you can get starbusts during the day as well, but I find it a little bit easier to do at night.  To do it during the day you have to have light reflecting off of a surface like a shinny motorcycle tank or something similar.

In these pictures I simply took a picture of an ugly light post sitting outside my house.


I shot these with my Canon 7D and my Sigma 70-200 Ex DG OS lens.  I shot it handheld, yes I know you should not take night shots handheld.  But I was not trying to win any awards with these pictures I just wanted to see if I could accomplish the starburt effect.

I found it was extremely easy to do.  So what is the secret.  Set you aperture to at least f/16.  That is it.  Nothing special or tricky about it.  I have not tried this with other lens or camera bodies so I can not say if other setups will require a slightly different camera setting.  I took photos at f/16 and f/22 and found the effect to be very similar.

You will have to adjust your shutter speed and ISO accordingly to obtain the proper exposure.

A lot of cool effects you see in photographs do not require special equipment or any fancy tricks.  Its just a matter of knowing what setting to put your camera at to achieve the desired effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment