Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Sony 55-210 E Mount Telephoto Lens





It is no secret I am a big fan of the Sony Nex Series.  Specifically I own the Nex-5T.  Now granted I prefer the image quality of my Canon 7d and the lens selection it offers for my professional photography.  I not only use my Nex as a backup camera but for a lot of family events as well.  The reason?  The Nex is so small and compact.  Its like have a point and shoot.

I have the stock lens that comes with the camera which is great.  But I also have the Sony 55-210 f 4.5-6.3 telephoto lens.  This lens is great.  For outdoor shooting this lens combined with the ten frames per second rate of the camera makes sports shooting a breeze.



The lens is lightweight and looks great with its silver finish on my silver camera body.  The auto focus while not as fast as a Canon L series lens is more than reasonable.  The image quality is sharp and has solid color reproduction.

But just like Canon and Nikon lenses that have a variable aperture, this lens struggles when it gets dark.  Yes the Sony Nex series has the ability to boost the ISO above 25,000, but it severely degrades the image.

With all variable aperture lenses as you zoom in, the lens allows less light into the camera.  This makes the image dark.  In order to compensate for this you have to raise your ISO or lower your shutter speed.  Often at the cost of image quality.  For me, as a sports photographer lower the shutter speed is rarely an option.  That means for night games or indoor games I must raise the ISO causing poor image quality.

Outdoors during the daytime I have no issues with this lens.  Even indoors shooting the family I have no issues.  But sports it becomes an issue as the light dims.

For all but serious amateur photographers and professionals this is all the camera and lens combination you will ever need.  It is more than adequate for shooting Saturday morning football games and even indoor Christmas programs at school.  Just do not expect to have the highest quality professional images.  But they will be more than good enough for you to post to Facebook or Instagram.  Combine that with the NFC feature on the newer Sony camera's and you can have high quality pictures uploaded and on social media during the event to everyone's delight.

All the images have no photo editing done to them other than some slight cropping on the sports images.  The sports images were shot at a very high ISO due to the lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment