Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Review




The Canon EF 28-135mm IS lens is an often overlooked and underrated lens. Coming in around $400 it is not a cheap lens.  But it offers a host of features not usually found at this price range.  With image stabilization and the ability to go from a wide angle into a short range telephoto lens this is a very reasonable cost for a versatile lens.

I bought this lens for only one reason.  When I purchased my Canon 7D Best Buy did not have the body only in stock.  They only had the camera body with this lens in store.  Because I am impatient and wanted my camera that day I went ahead and bought this setup.

And I am glad I did.  While I do not use this lens very often because I prefer fixed aperture lens and I almost always use my 70-200 lens, this lens has come in handy on more than a few occasions.


The image quality on this lens rivals any lens I have.  The only thing I do not like about this lens is the variable aperture.  So I can not get the nice bokeh I can with my longer zoom lens.  Aside from this issue, the image quality is amazing.

Since I usually use the 28-135 lens for landscape or other wide angle shots this is usually a non issue because I want the entire image in focus.

Something I did not even realized was this lens also has Macro abilities.  While not a true macro lens it is kind of cool to be able to take a picture of an insect every now and then.  Something I can not do with most of my other lenses.

Since this lens has image stabilization it makes hand holding this lens a snap without worrying about image distortion.

This isn't a lens you are going to want to use for sports.  The zoom range is just to short to reach out where you want to be.  You also do not want to use this lens in many low light situations.

I used this lens to photograph my sons graduation for his school, and the image quality was great.  This lens allowed me to zoom out and get the large group shots (his school only had 30 students graduating) and I could zoom in for the shots of the kids getting diplomas without any problem.

All the images in this article were taken with the Canon 28-135.  The only editing done to them is some cropping and some very light exposure adjustments where I had the exposure set wrong when I took the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment